iCarol presents at Child Helpline International’s Global Conference
In October, we were delighted to have had the opportunity to present at Child Helpline International’s 7th International Consultation. This assembly of child helplines around the world had sessions covering interesting topics including Digital Fundraising, how communication technologies are used in the prevention and protection from child trafficking, apps for Child Helplines, and much more. This year’s consultation made technology their focus; exploring how technology enables and encourages young people to reach out.
Technology also empowers helplines, and that was the focus of our presentation. Neil McKechnie, our CEO and Co-founder, presented information about how child helpline centres around the world are using iCarol to capture data in highly customizable formats. We showed how our tools help take the guess work out of managing a helpline, and how this valuable information can drive decisions about staffing, equip managers to quickly respond to the needs of their community, study linkages in demographics and issues, adequately train line staff, and so much more.
These are just some of the ways in which our clients are using the data collected in iCarol:
- When the crisis line’s phone number is advertised on a TV show or elsewhere in the media, they can immediately see the “spike” in calls by pulling real-time call volume charts
- Interpret seasonal increases in calls from youth during the summer to indicate that this population may need more support when school is out of session
- Use issues tracking to know what topics staff may need extra training on
- Decipher patterns in call volume and chat traffic that help inform staffing decisions
- Visualize co-occurring issues, such as Depression and Suicide
- Track relationships between issues and age groups, and issues and gender
- Using the iCarol API, build applications that let kids easily find services in their area
- Fulfill grant reporting requests by adding new data collection points to their call report forms at any time
These are just some of the ways in which our clients are taking the data collected in their call reporting forms, and turning it into meaningful, actionable information. We’re grateful to have been included in Child Helpline International’s conference this year and hope our audience found our presentation interesting. If you’d like to learn more about iCarol’s statistical capabilities, take a look at our website and please if you have questions or want to learn more.
Dana joined the iCarol team in 2013 after 12 years of direct service and administrative duties at a suicide prevention, crisis intervention, and empathetic listening helpline that also served as a 2-1-1 information and referral service. As the Communications and Social Media Manager at iCarol, you’ll find her presenting Webinars, Tweeting, Blogging, Facebooking, and producing other materials that aid helplines in their work.
In her spare time, Dana enjoys birdwatching, gardening, animal caregiving, and spending time with her family.